Monday, November 22, 2010

Dating, Relationships, and Marriage

Over the past couple of weeks, we have become really good friends with an apartment of guys in our ward. We go over there a lot to just hang out, talk, or watch a movie on their big screen television. The past few times we have gone over there, we have gotten into long, in-depth conversations about dating and relationships.  I never knew guys were so afraid of dating and girls! They also think about stuff WAY too much...maybe it's just them though but seriously, us girls don't even think about dating that much! From talking with them, it seems like they all feel like they have a time limit to find the right girl. They have all been home for less than 6 months and they go on lots of dates but are frustrated that girls are not interested in a relationship with them yet. Calm down, boys!! You got time, I promise!

The guys always want to know what the rules are for dating. Like when do you ask the girl on a second date, when do you hold hands, and when do you kiss? We've told them over and over that there are no "rules" to dating. It just depends on the girl and the situation. They get so frustrated cause they want a definite answer and I wish I could give them one! All we can do it tell them our personal opinions.

These conversations have caused me to reflect on some of the answers I have given them to questions and I am realizing more and more that maybe I should be quiet! First of all, I am the farthest person from being a dating expert. I've only been in one functional, loving relationship. The other two have been disasters and not even really what you would term a relationship...more of a week long fling where I got into it without thinking and then realized I actually had no interest in the guy. Second of all, I am a total hypocrite. Well, I guess technically I could just say that I learned what I think now from what I've done in the past. For example, I told our friends that it is not ok to hold hands or kiss on the first date...but I've totally done both of those things! The third thing is, I have a missionary. This fact completely changes and skews what I think about relationships because I just want to date guys but not get into a relationship with anyone.

Anyways...on a really happy note, my cousin Tara got married this weekend! I'm so glad she got married up here in Salt Lake because then I was able to attend this wonderful occasion! I unfortunately took ZERO photos of the event, but it was beautiful and so much fun to hang out with my cousins in between the wedding and the reception! Can't believe she's married. Love you Tara!
The Cousins (I lied...I took one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment