Saturday, January 14, 2012

And It Begins

School has officially started and I have to say that I am freaking out like always but I am also very interested in the majority of my classes (the minority being Statistics 121...). This semester I am taking US Religious History Since 1860, Mormonism in the American Experience, History of Ideas, Preparation for Marriage, and Statistics 121.

I have to say my favorite class right now is U.S. Religious History. It is a pilot class this semester so there are about 20 of us who are guinea pigs. We meet on the history department office floor in a conference room which is really cool because we can all see each other around this big oval table. Today, we spent the first 20 minutes of class going around the table and saying something interesting that is going on in our lives or something that happened this week. Some people got pretty personal! Then after we went around, our professor talked about how we never have enough time to finish our discussions so he proposed we start a blog for the class. It is completely optional but yeah this class is basically 24/7 now and...I love it. My professor is hilarious--I wish I had discovered his classes earlier! From class today, I decided that I wish I had done religion (specifically American) as my emphasis in History. It's so interesting! BUT since I am pretty much done with major classes, I guess it doesn't really matter anymore! On my way home I finally understood why people go on to get master's degrees--because it takes them about 3-4 years in their undergrad to decide what they ACTUALLY want to do! Well, too bad I don't love school enough to keep going after December. Guess I'll just have to learn on my own.

History of Ideas is the class that has me scared out of my mind...the professor makes NO sense! I've taken a class from him before but the other day I did not know what he was talking about the ENTIRE class period. You may be wondering why I'm taking the class then, and the answer is I have to because it is my last GE! Thankfully I have friends in there and they didn't understand him either...maybe we can somehow put that together? I don't know. We'll see. It also requires a lot of creativity...something I DO NOT HAVE.

Enough about school though. I have a really embarrassing story to share...
In my ward, I am a co-chair for Institute. What that means? I don't know because no one has contacted me since I've been called in October. I just go to Institute and that's pretty much it. So my roommate's friend just moved into our stake and we found out from her that there was going to be a dinner before Institute. I (trying to be active in my calling) posted on our ward facebook page that I had heard from a fairly reliable source about this dinner. We show up and about ten or so people show up from our ward. Then this guy gets up and says, "Um, so we weren't expecting this many people so take food sparingly and if you are not in the 92nd ward, please hang in the back of the line." We are in the 96th ward....It was a ward activity! You have NO idea how bad I felt! And I felt stupid that I had announced this to my entire ward! I went over to the group from our ward and apologized because I really thought this was a stake thing. They said it was fine and they decided to go to Little Caesars but it didn't make me feel any less stupid. It turns out the people in that ward didn't know it was just a ward thing either and some had even invited friends. Anyways, lesson learned. After institute I finally got in contact with one of the stake co-chairs and they took my email so that they could send announcements. And that is the only source I will rely on!

32 days! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment