Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mormon Prom

Ok I just need to vent about Mormon Prom even though I'm not in high school anymore. I know I did go to ONE Mormon Prom and don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed it (cause I was with Jake, duh!), but this is my opinion about it. I will also apologize up front to those of you who will probably be offended. So if you don't want to hear about it, don't read it! But if you do, feel free to keep going and tell me what you think!

I think the idea of Mormon Prom is ridiculous. As the Church has said, we should be IN the world but not of the world. I'm sorry but you CANNOT be IN the world if you are closing yourself off from the world and attending a Prom meant to be for Mormons. Sure, leaders will say, "Anyone is welcome to come." But really? How many non-LDS members do you think will come?? Few or none. We should be attending our own school proms and setting an example for the world. We can't exactly set an example if we are not in attendance. It also makes the Mormon kids look like snobs to those outside our faith. They believe we think that we are too good for them so we have to make our own. If all the LDS kids would get up the courage and go talk to the Principal of the high school about how bad the proms are and that we don't feel comfortable, they would probably do something. But it can't be just one or two people. That won't do any good. It has to be a lot. Anyways, I just had to get that all out.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Alix,
    Thank you ^-^ I agree... One of our Mormon Proms... Non members weren't even allowed to come... Or They "strongly recommended" for non memebers to not come... so it was really awkward to tell Taylor he couldn't come...The theme was Dancing in the Moonlight and it was held on a Boat going down the River... (cool yes...) But I didn't want Taylor to know he wasn't ALLOWED to go... so I decided to go to Homecoming instead. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh PS this is from Emily... not ALisa... ^-^

    ReplyDelete