Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Reunion in Yaktown

A little over a week ago we went up to Yakima, Washington for a Hague family reunion. I have been looking forward to this reunion all year and it was so much fun! But first, I must talk about the drama of getting there...

Lucas and I flew out on a Thursday with my mom, Brynn, and Riley. Our flight was supposed to leave at 2:10pm, but when we got on the plane, we were told that they were waiting for something. I wasn't really listening to the reasoning but whatever it was, it took about 30-40 minutes and in the meantime, there was no air conditioning. The plane was stinkin' hot and they had this portable A/C unit that basically did nothing. Lucas was a little restless, but fell asleep right before we were ready to take off. Perfect. Once we were in the air, he woke up for a little bit, but just laid on me for a while and then fell asleep again. I was so relieved that this flight was going smoothly. About 40 minutes into the flight, the pilot said that the second generator broke and that we were being redirected back to Mesa. WHAT THE??!! Lucas kept sleeping all the way back and then we got off the plane and waited about 30 minutes until we could get on another plane. We got on the new plane and took off. As an apology we got complimentary water/soda. Nice apology, Allegiant.

It was a challenge to keep Lucas entertained, but he actually did fairly well the first hour and a half. The last hour was HARD. Lucas was restless and bored. We landed and then they told us that we had to wait about 20 minutes until we could get off the plane. Everyone on the plane groaned and I could tell several people were ticked with how this whole thing had played out. Soon it got to the point where Lucas was screaming bloody murder and there was nothing I could do. I admit that I was on the edge of tears, more out of pure anger than embarrassment. If everything had gone the way it was supposed to, Lucas would have slept the entire plane ride and it would have been great. Thankfully everyone completely understood about the screaming. One guy said that's how we all feel and another sweet man told me that he had been watching how I interacted with Lucas throughout the whole thing and that I was really good with him. It definitely made me feel better about it all! Once we were cleared to taxi over to the gate, we were told to put our seat belts on. Several people, including myself, refused, mostly out of rebellion. It's not like we were going to crash the short distance to the gate. One of the flight attendants came over the intercom and said that we were not going to move until everyone had their seat belts on. Are you serious? It was really condescending and rude. That's like what you say to a kindergarten class or something. We finally got off and after waiting another 30 minutes for our luggage at the most ghetto baggage claim I have ever seen in my life, we were on the road to my aunt's house. What was supposed to be a 5 hour trip turned into a 10-11 hour trip. At least we made it! And I never want to fly Allegiant ever again....



The plane ride majorly screwed up Lukey's sleeping habits which made him somewhat of a nightmare for the first two days. He was grumpy, would gag and throw up, and didn't want to play--only walk! But despite all that, we had a great time hanging out with my dad's side of the family.



We thought that we would get a break from the heat, but we must have brought Arizona with us because it was just as hot. Thankfully my aunt Sheila has a pool so we spent most days swimming and trying to stay cool. The evenings were really nice though and we watched movies outside on a projector a few times.


I'm not much of a hiker, but we went on this easy, beautiful hike at Boulder Cave. Lucas was such a good little hiker! Well, aside from the walking part. He just loves being outside. Whose kid is this anyway? Haha ;)



If it wasn't for both of our families in Arizona, I would be super tempted to move to Washington or Oregon! It's just beautiful and the patio furniture doesn't get all dirty and faded and fruit lasts so much longer. I know those things are kind of ridiculous, but seriously, they are important to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment